You did it! Your little human is here. Congrats, mama! Now let’s get to resting and healing your body so you can be the best mom to your sweet pea.
Isn’t the vagina amazing? And the uterus too? God’s design is mind-blowing. Your body put in a lot of work, so let’s make sure it gets the care it needs to recover. Here are my nontoxic picks for postpartum.
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.
Often times, menstrual pads are contaminated with pesticides, fragrance chemicals, and bleach. You don’t want any of these near a fresh wound (if you had tearing) or near your reproductive organs in general! Some cleaner options:
- Organic Cotton, Chlorine-Free Pads. You want the maxi/super flow for the first few weeks for obvious reasons. I like this brand and these maternity pads.
- Reusable Pads. This option will require you to do a little extra laundry, but I’ve found reusable pads to be so much more comfortable than disposable ones. You are also making an intentional effort to cut down on waste and it’s not so hard to toss these in with a load of towels. I love these from Charlie Banana. They make cloth diapers too, so they know what they’re doing when it comes to absorbency!
Natural Pain Relievers
- Arnica Gel. Arnica is an herb that grows mainly in Siberia and central Europe, as well as temperate climates in North America. The flowers of the plant are used in medicine. It helps with muscle aches and soreness. Read more about its benefits here. I personally had a lot of soreness after my first delivery in my shoulders, probably from holding my legs up during pushing. This arnica gel worked wonders!
- Earth Mama Perineal Spray. After a vaginal delivery, you will likely be sore and swollen. Instead of using the spray that most hospitals give (containing butane, parabens, and PEGs *BLECH!*), try out a nontoxic spray like this one from Earth Mama.
- Padsicles. If you are really needing some relief, try out these DIY Padsicles. They are cooling and numbing and wonderful for healing.
- Sitz Bath. Natural herbs help to sooth your nether regions. These from Earth Mama are perfect.
- Comfy Underwear. Make sure you have loose-fitting underwear. Hospitals will send you home with mesh panties, but you’ll probably want to graduate to some more practical cotton ones eventually.
- Check here for my list of nontoxic breastfeeding supplies.
- Peri Bottle. After a vaginal delivery, urinating and wiping can be painful. Try using a peri bottle to rinse yourself instead.
- Prenatal Vitamins. Continuing to take your prenatal vitamins will help you to get proper nutrition for your milk supply as well as your recovery.
- Robe. Now is not the time for glamor. Relax in your robe all day, mama. You earned it.
Good luck, mama! You got this!